Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Lemon juice at the end.

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

Hello, when I'm watching professional chefs (Gordon Ramsay, Jamie Oliver etc.) they always tell you to add a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime at the end of making a curry. Could you please tell me if this is also a common thing to do in India. Thank you for the fantastic recipes.

Mamta, on 7/2/2018 07:36am

I was asked this question on mamtaskitchen forum yesterday;

"Hello, when I'm watching professional chefs (Gordon Ramsay, Jamie Oliver etc.) they always tell you to add a squeeze of fresh lemon or lime at the end of making a curry. Could you please tell me if this is also a common thing to do in India. Thank you for the fantastic recipes. " Here is my reply to it, it may be of interest to some of you;

In north India, where I come from, we usually add a little dry mango powder called Amchoor* towards the end of cooking, especially to gravy free vegetable dishes I call bhajies.

The word Amchoor means 'powder of mango'. Raw, green mangoes are washed, peeled and sliced. Then the slices are dried. They are sold whole or powdered. Whole slices are often added to dals and some curries during cooking. When mango slices are ground, they are called Amchoor. Aam=mango, Choor=powder.I

In south India, this is replaced by tamarind.

I guess British chefs are instinctively replacing it with lemon, to give the dish a finish. I too often add lemon juice in the place of mango powder/tamarind.

Nick, on 7/2/2018 09:08am

Thank you for your reply Mamta, I also have amchoor powder and tamarind paste, I was just curious to know if lemon or lime was commonly used.

Mamta, on 7/2/2018 11:28am

Oops, that reply was meant for mamtaskitchenfacebook page; https://www.facebook.com/mamtaskitchen/?ref=br_rs

So ignore the first 2 paragraphs of my post above :)

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com