Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Namak Para/Matri

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

Hi Mamta,

Have you got a recipe for these snacks/biscuits? I've been enjoying a commercial version but wondered about making them at home. I bet warm, freshly made ones are just the business.

Regards,

Martin

Mamta, on 7/11/2015 06:53am

Here you are Martin

Mathari is a very, very popular snack in northern India and comes in all sorts of varieties. I have a few recipes, not all. People used to take these on travel and on holidays, because they lasted quite a while. These days, people eat less of them, or at least try to eat less, because they are becoming aware of eating less fat. Here are some of the recipes;

Mathri

Pickled Mathari

Sweet-Shakar Parae

Namkeen Parae, I haven’t written down the recipe (!). They are made from similar dough as sweet parae, just add salt and carom seed to the dough. Roll the dough out, cut into little diamonds and fry like Sweet ones. I will, one of these days.

I have also made both sweet and savory ‘parae’ by baking them, using readymade Short Crust pastry. They come out perfect, with much less effort, though a bit more expensive. For savory, sprinkle some salt and a few carom seed on the pastry and roll it out.

Also see Mathari Achari with Pickle (this is very popular in India)

and

Sweet Mathari (If you make these ones, please can you take some pictures and send them to me, I didn’t take any when made them last! God knows when I will make them next!

'Chaak' Salt free Matharies from Northern India, always made at north Indian weddings, mostly by professional ‘Halwai’, the Indian sweet maker. In my days, a Halwai and his team were appointed to make all sweets and savory snacks for the wedding. They used to set up stall somewhere in the garden or courtyard or verandah. These days, most people tend to buy them from sweet shops, ready boxed for distribution. I might have pictures of their team in one of the above recipes.

Martin, on 7/11/2015 12:13pm

Thanks Mamta. I'll give them a go next week.

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com