Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - How to store chapati so that it remains soft for 7 days

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1 2

I make very soft tawa chapati. It remains soft and does not crack and crumblefor almost 8 hours after cooking. Can you suggest method of storage so that it remains soft for 7 days.

Thanks

Mamta, on 5/11/2011 05:18am

If I make a lot of chapatties, I keep about 6-10 each in a large, sealable sandwich bag. I put the cooled chapatties in the bag (hot ones closed in will stick together with steam), press all the air out and seal each bag. To cool chapatties, I leave them on a plate in piles of 20 or so, covered with a towel, so that the steam can escape without condensing. They are almost, but not quite, as good as fresh when re-heated on a tava/griddle.

Kavey, on 6/11/2011 10:23am

7 days seems a very long time to be keeping chapatis?

Are you hoping to only make them once a week and use throughout the week?

Rajneesh, on 6/11/2011 10:34am

I love fresh chapattis, and prefer it to rice. Sometimes i keep them in reseable bags for 2-3 in the fridge until I finish it, but 7 days is a bit too much.

Mamta, on 6/11/2011 11:06am

No, I don't think 7 days is too much. They live quite well in a freezer. If I have too many left after a party, I always freeze them and a few before going on holiday. It takes me 5-6 days to get over the travel/jet/ lag, when they come very handy. You can say they are not as good as fresh, of course they are not, but they are good enough for people who do not have time to make them each day. You have to slightly under-cook them, then cool them covered with a towel, then freeze in sandwich bags one day's supply each. Then leave one bag out before you go to work. Re-heat on a griddle.

Bimal, on 30/10/2012 11:32am

We have to provide chapattis to over 100 people at a time. This is normally during bhandara days.To serve 100 people (at least 5 chapatis per head)at one go and about 5/6 such batches, chapattis need to be prepared from very early morning.We need some simple process to keep the chapati in high quantity warm and soft.

This is not commercial. We are Satsangis and the Bhandaras are held in Varanasi and Agra and food is distributed free as prasad.

Please help.

Mamta, on 11/11/2012 06:13pm

How about using large thermal casserole pans?

http://www.hotdishes.net/Indian_kitchen_Appliances/Hot_Packs_Casseroles/Stainless_Steel_Casseroles/Premier_1500ml_to_6000_ml_Casseroles/

Rajneesh, on 21/12/2013 07:08pm

Bananas to make dough soft? Sweet chapatis? Has anybody tried it?

Mamta, on 22/12/2013 06:48am

No, I haven,t heard of this. But if it is green bananas our guest is talking about, boiled and mashed, it may work. If you add mashed potatoes to dough, it gives very soft parathas/roties/chapatties.

Yogi, on 1/2/2015 03:49pm

Keep in deep freezer.

Roopa, on 25/5/2015 04:14am

Banana chapati tastes very good..its very nutritious and good for children too.

Aseema, on 14/1/2016 06:06pm

1. Does one cool the chapatis by placing them on a towel and then wrapping the same over them?

2. Can they be placed in the regular fridge area or is it necessary to put them in the freezer?

3. Is the sandwitch bag that you refer to a zip pouch?

Mamta, on 15/1/2016 10:16pm

Hello Aseema

Sorry for the late reply, I have been otherwis occupied.

1 yes, you cool chapatties on a towel. Frozen hot, they will stick together.

2 Yes, you can keep them in the fridge for a couple of days, but for longer, better to freeze them.

3. The sandwich bag can be a ziplock one or a simple tie handle one. It doesnt matter, as long as it us sealed.

B N Mathur, on 17/3/2016 06:34am

Your suggestions of keeping the dough with extra water for 1/2 hr and using mashed potatoes are really worth trying. These two suggestions should help! Many thanks.

Mamta, on 19/3/2016 05:25am

You are most welcome BN Mathur.

Mamta

niki, on 17/5/2016 10:47am

How can i store roti for minimum 1 week with natural nutrition for business purpose?

Mamta, on 17/5/2016 10:56am

I don't follow your question fully? You mean for a business trip or for selling?

Deepti, on 15/8/2016 07:58am

Add spinach while kneading dough . It gives soft texture and nice color to dough and chapatis are really soft when you reheat them. Spinach has to be washed, blanched and grinded before adding to dough.

Divya, on 22/8/2017 11:15pm

Hi From all the Q&A what I understood is make rotis and cool them with towel to get to room temperature and then Store it in freezer in ziplock .

My question is can we just roll the dough into chapathis and store it in freezer , and wanted to fry it everyday before eating .

How to store the raw rotis in freezer ? Do we need to dust with flour more or keep any paper to separate rotis ??

Mamta, on 23/8/2017 05:06am

To freeze uncooked chapatties, you will need to separate them each with wax paper, or they will stick together. I will suggest that you half cook them on a tava/griddle, then spread them out on a towel until cool. Now you can stack them and freeze. Later on, you can defrost them and balloon them on a tava or defrost them and cook them on gas directly.

If you stack and freeze them without cooling first, they are more likely to stick together, because they will retain more moister/steam between chapatties. I freeze leftover chapatties and stuffed parathas of all kinds this way, without any problem.

Page: 1 2

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com