Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - A fix for overcooked ghee?

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1 2 3

Hi,

Does anyone know a fix for ghee that is cooked at too high heat or for too long? It becomes all cloudy and never separates properly.

Thank you.

Shambhavi

Mamta, on 6/12/2005 06:43am

Hello Shambhavi

Like anything that is burnt, it is really impossible to 'fix' burnt ghee. If it smells burnt, the best thing you can do is throw it away and not ruin any more of your good ingredients by cooking in it. If it does not taste/smell burnt, and only looks cloudy etc., try cooking one small dish in it and see how it tastes. If it comes out okay, use it. Otherwise throw it away.

If you live in UK or some other cold country, you may try leaving it outside and see if birds like it!

Mamta

PS Next time you make ghee, leave it to cook on low heat, for longer. Itt is much safer!

Ranjan, on 27/4/2006 05:48pm

I burnt it too, the first time I made it! I had to throw it all out. Fortunately, i was making only a small amount.

ranjan

onlytaste, on 8/5/2006 11:39am

does it have any nutritional value?

AskCy, on 8/5/2006 05:49pm

its the fat/oil for cooking in/with

Mamta, on 8/5/2006 08:49pm

Ghee or Clarified butter is mainly saturated FAT. I am not sure of it's nutritional values other than this; my grandmother used it liberally in her cooking, made sweets with it, added it on top of her food like people here in the West add cream, used it as a skin lotion and hair oil. She was small and slim, very erect. She lived to be 97, had almost black hair until she was well into her eighties, needed glasses only in her eighties, had strong bones, was quite fit and able to look after herself until last couple of years of her life. Was it the nutritional value of ghee or was it other things? She said it was the milk and ghe, but who can say! It never did her any harm though!

AskCy, on 9/5/2006 08:07pm

Sounds like one special lady.

Mamta, on 10/5/2006 05:34am

Yes indeed, she was Steven. If I start talking about her, I could write pages on her! She was a lovely lady and had a great presence at her full 4ft. 11inch

I just found this in Reader's Digest book "An A to Z guide of healthy eating":

Nutritional values of Butter (precursor of ghee)

108 cal per tbs.

11 gm. total fat: 7.1 gm. saturated and 3.3 mono-saturated fat, ) 0.4 gm. polyunsaturated fat. High saturated fat, increases the risk of heart disease, obesity and some other diseases.

33 mg. cholesterol.

It is a good source of vitamin A and D.

It has same calories as margarine, both have 16-20% water.

It tastes better than margarine and oils.

Drawbacks of butter:

Using butter and margarine sparingly can be incorporated into a healthy diet.

I hope this is of help!

Mamta

Sonya, on 11/5/2006 03:37pm

I would just bin it, it is useless.

Sonya

Claire, on 4/11/2013 03:43pm

Ok ghee not burnt but super amber. Could the butter I used be wrong. Wanted organic salt free, got just salt free.

Claire, on 4/11/2013 03:46pm

Ok ghee not burnt but super amber. Could the butter I used be wrong. Wanted organic salt free, got just salt free.

Mamta, on 4/11/2013 04:23pm

Probably a bit overcooked. If it doesn't smell burnt and tastes ok on a chapati or pon a spoon of dal, this is fine to use. Just be careful next time.

Claire, on 4/11/2013 07:48pm

Thanx so much. Once the dark ghee solidified looked ok. Can't wait to use it tonite with veggies and have the kids try it. It smells really good. Yea!!!! So grateful to have you share this culture with me in Louisiana.

Rajneesh, on 6/11/2013 09:49am

The best ghee is one made at home, none of the market ones can beat it.

Kavey, on 8/11/2013 08:21am

Although I don't think it's "a thing" in Indian cuisine, browned butter (or beurre noisette, as it's known in French) is a wonderful thing - butter browned just enough to give it an amber colour and nutty taste.

So, if yours isn't burnt, then you've basically got brown butter, which sounds delicious. Would use it as flavouring, spread rather than cook with it, as cooking might take it across to burnt status...?

For making ghee, definitely use low heat, it doesn't take much at all for solids to separate out.

Rajneesh, on 8/11/2013 04:26pm

Not related to ghee but came across an article that none of the processed vegetable oil is good for health, even olive oil should not be heated but used cold on salads. Butter and coconut oil is healthier option.

Svati, on 28/7/2014 11:56am

Ouch just discovered about a litre of burnt Ghee and it got mixed in with some Good Ghee and all of it has a slight smell.....Burnt milk I have treated with Potatos cut in half and left for a while was wondering if the same would work for Ghee!

Svati, on 28/7/2014 12:21pm

I have experimented with adding a bit of Garlic and Curry leaves and will wait n see if there is an improvement....The Ghee isn't too amber in colour and mebbe there is hope! Keeping fingers crossed!

Mamta, on 28/7/2014 06:49pm

May be there is!!1 In my experience, burnt stuff is better thrown away. If you add more things to recover it, you are only throwing good money after bad... but will wait to hear from you.

Svati, on 2/8/2014 12:10pm

SUCCESS!!!! Mamta and all on this forum! It gives me immense pleasure to inform you that my experiment with adding fresh curry leaves and garlic to my burnt Ghee proved Immensely successful! Should've posted the results immediately but 2 days later when I opened the box of ghee, Viola, the Burnt smell n taste was GONE! and it smelt rather good and normal! Dunno if the garlic did anything for the smell cos I cannot smell any garlic in the Ghee, but yes the yummy smell of Curry leaves is subtly there! So there you Go don't throw away your burnt Ghee Folks!!:-)

Page: 1 2 3

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com