Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Onion bajis

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1 2

Hi all...No, it definately wasn't hommus, I guess the best way to describe it was like a chick pea curry sauce, with not many chick peas, but the texture of the gravy was not thin nor too thick..I wonder what they might have added to the "gravy" to give it the texture ?..Here on this island, whilst it is fairly large, Shops which sell Asian/African/Indian goods are few and far between, but a good find for me lately, was a source of flour made from "hard" wheat, which makes lovely breads. Thanks for all the answers. John from Tasmania

Mamta, on 18/7/2007 07:02am

It wasn't Tamarind sauce by any chance? It is thick, like a custard, dark brown, often eaten with Spicy Chickpea snack. It is tangy and sweet at the same time. It can be lighter brown in colour, if the tamarind is of light brown variety.

Don't give up yet, we will get there in the end ;-)!

Mamta

Malik Josh, on 18/7/2007 07:21am

Loved your Bhajias "Mixed Vegetable Pakora or Bhajis - 3 Fritters (Mamta's)". You can taste each vegetable individually. I made some vine leaf and pumpkin flower pakoras, never knew they could be so lovely. Thanks

Malik

AskCy, on 18/7/2007 02:38pm

was it made totally with chickpeas or could it have been something like a lentil curry with chickpeas in it ?

Steve

Tasmanian Devil, on 18/7/2007 10:32pm

Steve, I think you have hit it dead on...The lentils were so well cooked that they were barely perceptible except in taste.. I will try it out in the next few days..I miss many of those lovely meals we used to have in Saudi..We were friends with one Indian couple who were vegetarians, and my wife Joan says if I could cook meals like they could, she would become a vegetarian !

Thanks again. John

Mamta, on 19/7/2007 10:58am

I am lost, but not yet giving up! In India, people often crush a few of the chickpeas after the curry is cooked, to make the gravy thicker. Is that a possibility? Next time you make chickpeas, try saving a few and crush the rest with a potato masher or sometging similar. See if that works for you. Do get back to us, if it does :-)!

Mamta

gladis, on 22/7/2007 11:31am

your onion bhaji's sound brilliant. please can you share your receipe with me. gladis

Mamta, on 22/7/2007 12:39pm

Hello gladys

I presume you mean Onion pakora when you say onion Bhaji?

See;

Onion bhaji

Onion bhajia

Mamta

Mamta, on 22/7/2007 12:41pm

Oops! hope this works better:

Onion bhaji

Onion bhaji

Barbara C, on 3/4/2015 03:12pm

Can I make onion bhaji today. Keep them in the fridge and reheat in the oven on Monday

Mamta, on 3/4/2015 04:51pm

Yes. Slightly undercook them. Cool completely. Keep in the freezer in a sealed bag. Heat oven to around 180c. Place bhajies on a foil lined tray and heat for 15-20 minutes. Serve immediately. Over heating or repeated heating them will make them chewy.

Page: 1 2

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com