Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Olives

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

Other than eating them as they come, salads, putting them on pizza's and someone chops them and adds them to shepperds pie, is there anything else that you can do with them?

something tasty and interesting ?

I was thinking maybe a pesto type thing or would they even lend themselves to something sweet ???

Steve

Mamta, on 13/8/2005 10:58am

They are nice in a pulao/pilaf.

Mamta

Kavey, on 15/8/2005 07:43am

Make tapenade?

AskCy, on 15/8/2005 08:05pm

bought some very nice Greek Olives yesterday at a local food festival, If I can stop dipping in and eating them I might make some...

Steve

Phil, on 16/8/2005 09:50am

At our local market, they sell olives prepared in quite a variety of ways: with herbes de Provence, with slices of garlic, with chilli powder. So you could try one of those, or a mix of them. We keep meaning to have a go at preparing our own olives, rather than picking the lot off the trees and taking them down to the olive mill. There's a variety called 'Lucques' in French which is especially good for eating. Our French friends tell us that it's a crime to take them to olive mill when we could prepare them for eating. So I guess we should have a go.

Cheers,

Phil

Mamta, on 16/8/2005 01:41pm

Hello Phill

Since we don't have any green olives here (I haven't seen any), we will have to miss the pleasure of home prepared olives :-(!

Mamta

Mamta, on 16/8/2005 03:01pm

Why does no one ever add olives to curries? I am sure they will be nice!

AskCy, on 16/8/2005 05:20pm

don't you have to soak olives in a solution of lime (as in the cement stuff, not the fruit) for weeks before they can be eaten ?

Phil, on 26/8/2005 03:51pm

Yes, you do have to prepare olives in order to make them pleasantly edible. That's what we haven't got around to doing yet, but we have an Australian friend in Greece who does it, so there's no real excuse for a Brit like me: if she can do it, so can we.

I somehow can't get my head around olives in Indian food.

Pgil

Cinnamon, on 31/8/2005 01:20am

Well, I tried the Cumin Chicken recipe tonight, and was very pleaseantly surprised.

I could have sworn that olive oil in a curry is a non-starter, but this particular curry uses just that, and what is more, also a Chinese trick of mixing soy sauce and sesame oil. It definitly is a curry tho!

Perhaps you could try something with olives involving cumin (roasted and raw) and potatoes (to soak up the oily flavour) and red, de-seeded chillies?

Initial idea would be to splutter cumin in olvie oil(hmm, try this seperatly first, it that is gruesome, use ghee), fry (parboiled and tumericed) potatoes, then add chillies and the roasted cumin, some garam masala and the olives(leave them whole) and fry for a little longer till the taste fuses. Fresh dill would also fit nicely I think.

Cinnamon, the theorethical cook

Phil, on 1/10/2005 04:54pm

Olive oil, sesame oil and olives in Indian food? Goodness, that's breaking down the barriers in our cooking, which is (a) Indian, (b) Chinese, (c), classic French sauces and (b) Mediterranean (Greek/Spanish/South-East of France).

I think I have a mental block about some of these categories, although we did come up with a Goan dish with pastis added, which is fusion cookery, I guess.

Phil

Mamta, on 1/10/2005 09:30pm

Hi Phil

Pastis smells like fennel, doesn't it? Many Indian recipes use fennel. It (fennel) is also used in dessert sometimes. So I guess it makes sense to use it in Indian cooking. Many modern Indian chefs do all kind of fusions these days and come up with some excellent dishes :-).

Mamta

guavafish, on 8/10/2005 01:23pm

olive pesto, or olive and mushroom lasagne?

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com