Mamta's Kitchen

Forum Thread - Butter chillies

You may also reply to this thread.

Page: 1

Hi all

I need some advice. I bought some "butter chillies" today by mistake. They appear to be whole chillies, fried in butter. I tried one and it was quite mild and very salty (not unpleasant though). What are you meant to do with them?

Thanks in advance

Chris

Mamta, on 24/2/2010 03:43am

I am not sure what they are. If they are just mild chillies fried in butter, just you can add them to your sandwiches or eat them a vegetable side dish with an Indian meal.

Mamta

Winton, on 24/2/2010 05:34am

Intrigued Chris! Could they be 'white chillies' from Sri Lanka?

What are the other ingredients in the pack apart from presumably chillies, butter (or ghee) and salt?

Winton, on 24/2/2010 12:59pm

Not sure Chris!

Seems they can be munched as a side dish or 'nibbles' for chilli hot heads, or mixed with more salt to create a 'chilli salt' to be used as a finishing seasoning.

Mamta, on 24/2/2010 01:10pm

Does this look familiar, a dish from Andhra?

Majjiga Mirapa

http://cooking4allseasons.blogspot.com/2008/05/majjiga-mirapakaya-moor-milagai-dahi.html

Chris, on 24/2/2010 03:09pm

I fried up a batch. It took a while to get the oil temerature right, but I got there in the end. Very moreish but for chilli heads only!

Tazio, on 9/3/2016 03:21pm

Hi All, Better late than never, I got directed here while online to buy some butter chillies. They are great! You can use them as any chillies, I find them milder than usual dried red ones. Best of all, I add half or one, finely chopped, at the end of cooking. They add a nice slight saltiness, and a different layer of heat. I use this stuff almost every day, in my pasta dishes, in with potato etc. I sometimes stir-fry some finely chopped leek or onion for a couple of minutes and when cooked turn off the heat and stir in finely sliced raw garlic and butter chilli. Use as a fresh seasoning on your meal. I cook without salt usually, so this is a piquant addition. Off to order the butter chillies now. Mmmmmm

Mamta, on 10/3/2016 12:13am

I am trying to experiment with Jodhpuri (from Jodhpur) chilli pickle at the moment. That too has yoghurt soaked chillies, pickled. It is extremely moreish.

Mamta

Page: 1

You may reply to this thread.

Content copyright ©2001-2024 Mamta Gupta and F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Layout and design ©2001-2024 F² Limited. (All rights reserved. No copying without permission.)
Hosted on Mythic Beasts
All comments and queries to webmaster@mamtaskitchen.com